Elmos Semiconductor SE needed to dispose of its operational 200mm fab based in Dortmund, Germany. Following a first sale blocked by the German government in 2022 due to geopolitical concerns about the buyer, the company needed to put the facility back on the market to find a sustainable solution for its employees, customers, and the site as it transitions its manufacturing to a more foundry-dependent model.
ATREG conducted a second global campaign to market the Elmos Dortmund fab, leading to a highly competitive bidding process. It was eventually decided that U.S.-based Littelfuse, a diversified, industrial technology manufacturing company, was the best fit for Elmos. ATREG structured a unique transaction model that met all of Elmos’ business objectives, including a long-term supply agreement that was key for Elmos and its automotive customers.
• The Elmos fab sold for a net purchase price of approx. €93 million.
• A multi-year capacity sharing arrangement through to 2029 was agreed upon, ensuring Elmos has the necessary capacities to meet projected customer demand.
• As a fabless company, Elmos will make even greater use of advanced technologies to deliver groundbreaking innovations in mixed-signal semiconductors.
• Littelfuse enhances its manufacturing capabilities of power semiconductors for high-growth power conversion applications.
• Littelfuse will continue to employ all current 225 Elmos fab employees.
• All other activities, including testing operations, will remain with Elmos.
• The transaction is expected to close by December 31, 2024.